Through the Years
May 1967 – First agreement signed by United Counties of Leeds/Grenville, City of Brockville, Town of Prescott, Town of Gananoque to sponsor a municipal Home for the aged. The Home is designed to accommodate 147 residents – 76 bed care; 34 normal care; 36 special care, and 1 psychiatric care.
June 1968 – Municipalities purchase 6.60 acres of land from Department of Public Works, located in Township of Elizabethtown, County of Leeds. Total estimated cost of construction: $2,062,405.
December 6, 1968 – Official sod-turning ceremony.
January 5, 1970 – R.D. Timleck appointed first Administrator, as of Feb. 2, 1970
March 9, 1970 – St. Lawrence Lodge selected as official name of new Home.
September 9, 1970 – The first resident admitted – Ms. Mary Jane Hawkins (103 years old).
November 13, 1970 – Official Opening ceremony.
March 18, 1974 – Government approves St. Lawrence Lodge request for 100-bed addition. Total project cost: $900,000.
February 2000 – Committee of Management initiates master planning and feasibility study to determine most effective means of complying with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care “Long Term Care Facility Design Guidelines”.
June 26, 2003 – Committee of Management resolves to build a new state-of-the-art 224-bed Long Term Care Home on the existing site.
January 2004 – Committee of Management approves design concept for new facility.
July 19, 2004 – The Committee of Management resolves to award the construction contract for the new, redeveloped St. Lawrence Lodge to Thomas Fuller Construction Company Limited (1958) at a maximum contract price of $26.4 million.
September 21, 2004 – Official Ground Breaking Celebration for “new” St. Lawrence Lodge.
April 6, 2006 – Start of move from existing building to brand new 224-bed Home.
April 10, 2006 – St. Lawrence Lodge takes full occupancy of new building. Resident move completed in one day.
November 25, 2006 – Official Opening and Ribbon Cutting Celebration.